Soundesign SD-B16 Wireless Earbuds: Budget-Friendly Portable Listening
Published on June 26, 2023, 4:39 p.m.
Wireless earbuds have become a popular way to listen to music and take calls on the go. With so many options on the market, it can be tough to find an affordable pair that checks all the boxes. The Soundesign SD-B16 aims to deliver portable Bluetooth audio in an inexpensive package. Let’s take a closer look at what these budget-friendly buds have to offer.
The Soundesign SD-B16 Wireless Earbuds are Bluetooth 5.0 wireless earbuds available in white. They connect to smartphones, tablets, and other devices to stream audio wirelessly. A built-in microphone enables hands-free calling. The earbuds are rechargeable via an included USB-C cable, and the charging case provides an additional two full charges for up to 18 hours of total playtime.
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity for music, videos, calls
- Portable charging case for on-the-go power
- Integrated microphone for clear hands-free calling
- Ergonomic in-ear design with 3 sizes of eartips for comfort
- Easy tap controls for managing music and calls
- Up to 18 hours total playtime with charging case
The Soundesign SD-B16 Wireless Earbuds have a sleek, minimalist design. The earbuds themselves are compact and lightweight for all-day wear. The pill-shaped charging case features a unique open design that magnetically holds the earbuds in place. The case makes the buds easy to remove by pushing up from the bottom. Three sizes of silicone eartips are included for a customized fit.
Features and Connectivity
Setup with the Soundesign SD-B16 Wireless Earbuds is quick and simple. They pair rapidly with Bluetooth-enabled devices. Playback and volume controls are accessed by tapping on either earbud. The built-in microphone enables clear hands-free calls. Wireless range is strong, allowing you to roam up to 10 meters away from your connected device.
Sound quality is decent for the price point. The SD-B16 produce clear mids and highs. Bass reproduction isn’t the strongest, so don’t expect thunderous lows. Volume levels are relatively limited compared to more powerful earbuds. Overall, the audio is perfectly fine for casual listening but lacks the richer sound of more expensive models.
Battery life is a highlight, with up to 6 hours of continuous playtime on a single charge. The charging case provides two additional full charges. In total, you get around 18 hours before needing to recharge via USB-C. Charging the case and earbuds fully takes about 2 hours. Standby time is approximately 200 hours.
Bluetooth 5.0 enables reliable wireless connection to devices up to 10 meters away. Pairing is quick and hassle-free. Connectivity is generally stable, though a few users reported intermittent cutting out. Performance depends on eliminating interference from other nearby wireless devices.
Onboard tap controls allow convenient command of music, calls, volume, voice assistants, and more. The touch sensitive surface responds accurately to single, double, and triple taps. Learning thetap sequences takes some practice before becoming second nature.
The product description does not specify a level of sweat or water resistance. The earbuds should handle light moisture from workouts but are not intended for activities like swimming where they can be submerged.
Take the Soundesign SD-B16 Wireless Earbuds anywhere! These wireless earbuds are great for:
- Listening to music, podcasts, audiobooks on your commute
- Taking hands-free calls while multitasking at home or work
- Tuning in to entertaining videos on YouTube and social media
- Exercising with upbeat motivational tunes at the gym
- Drowning out noise on an airplane or train ride
- Not disturbing others at the library or office during study/work sessions
User Feedback Analysis
The Soundesign SD-B16 earbuds have received mixed yet generally positive reviews from customers. Satisfied buyers compliment the budget-friendly price along with the convenience of wireless listening on the go. Many describe the SD-B16 as their trusty daily companions for commutes, exercise sessions, and hours of distraction-free studying.
According to users, the pocketable charging case is a winning feature, keeping the earbuds powered up for days of continuous use. The ergonomic shape and included eartips provide a customizable fit to suit various ear sizes, making the SD-B16 comfortable for all-day wear. Parents appreciate the lack of wires that would otherwise become ensnared by fidgety toddlers.
While reviewers concur that audio fidelity is far from dazzling, most find the sound adequate for casual podcast or playlist enjoyment. The pronounced highs and mids allow vocals to shine through clearly. However, bass-lovers lament the missing thump and rumble needed to immerse themselves in thudding EDM or hip hop beats. Gamers note that gunshots and explosions lack punch but still get the job done.
When it comes to call quality, buyers happily report that friends and family hear them loud and clear thanks to decent built-in mics and background noise reduction. The earbuds make an affordable option for remote work video meetings or quick phone chats on the go.
Not all feedback is positive, however. Some users struggle with finicky touch controls and wish for tactile buttons instead. A portion complain of frustrating Bluetooth dropouts when wandering too far from their device. More than a few reviews mention disappointment with the flimsy open charging case that exposes the earbuds to pocket debris.
On the whole, satisfied customers agree the SD-B16 deliver exactly what you would expect for the price. For shoppers seeking an inexpensive introduction to the convenience of true wireless listening, the Soundesign earbuds get the job done without breaking the bank. Audiophiles and power users may want to look elsewhere. But the average media consumer will find these sub-$30 earbuds to be a solid value purchase.
Pros and Cons
- Compact and lightweight design
- Intuitive tap controls
- Reliable Bluetooth connectivity
- Impressive battery life
- Clear mic for hands-free calls
- Fun color options
- Extremely affordable price point
- Audio lacks bass and sounds tinny
- Maximum volume is not very loud
- Eartips may not fit everyone’s ears
- Case offers minimal protection
- Some users experience static/buzzing
For around $30, the Soundesign SD-B16 Wireless Earbuds offer a solid value. You get the key features of Bluetooth connectivity, portability, easy controls, and long battery life. Audio quality and volume are limited, but acceptable considering the super budget-friendly price. For those looking for wireless headphones on a tight budget, the SD-B16 are a decent pickup.
For their low price, the Soundesign SD-B16 wireless earbuds are a great choice if you want portable Bluetooth audio on a budget. The design is stylish and the controls are intuitive once you get the hang of them. Battery life is impressive. Audio quality is decent but not amazing. Overall, the SD-B16 make an affordable option for casual wireless listening.
What’s in the Box
- Soundesign SD-B16 wireless earbuds (left and right)
- Charging case
- 3 sizes (S/M/L) of silicone eartips
- USB-C charging cable
- User manual
- Bluetooth version: 5.0
- Wireless range: Up to 10m
- Battery capacity: Earbuds 40mAh, Charging case 380mAh
- Playtime: Up to 6 hours (earbuds), Up to 18 hours (with case)
- Standby time: 200 hours (earbuds)
- Charging time: 2 hours (earbuds and case)
- Drivers: 6mm
- Water resistance: Unknown
- Weight: Earbuds 4.5g each, Case 38g
How to Use
- Charge the earbuds and case fully before first use.
- Open the case and remove the earbuds.
- Activate Bluetooth on your device. Select “SD-B16” from the list of available devices.
- Insert the earbuds and adjust until they fit comfortably.
- Play audio or take a call. Tap the earbuds to control playback, volume, calls, etc.
- Return the earbuds to the charging case when not in use. The case will recharge them for the next use.