Aftershokz Aeropex Open-Ear Bone Conduction Headphones Review
Published on May 3, 2023, 11:10 a.m.
The Aftershokz Aeropex are a pair of wireless, open-ear bone conduction headphones designed for sports and active lifestyles. Aftershokz pioneered bone conduction technology which delivers audio through vibrations to the cheekbones, leaving the ears open to hear ambient sounds. I tested the Aeropex headphones over several weeks for workouts, running, biking, and daily use to provide an in-depth review.
- Product: Aftershokz Aeropex
- Price: $159.95
- Brand: Aftershokz
- Model: AS800
- Color: Black
- Form: Open-ear bone conduction
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0
- Battery Life: 8 hours
- Patented bone conduction technology delivers audio through cheekbones
- Open-ear design keeps you aware of surroundings
- IP67 waterproof and sweatproof
- 8 hours of continuous battery life
- Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity
- Lightweight and comfortable frame
- Integrated controls for music, calls, and voice assistant
Design and Comfort
The Aeropex have an open-ear design with the transducer resting on your cheekbones to send audio vibrations directly to the cochlea. They are extremely lightweight at just 26 grams. The band is thin and flexible to contour around the back of your head.
I found them very comfortable for long term wear. The lack of in-ear buds or a tight clamp is ideal for workouts and active use. The open design keeps you aware of ambient sounds for safety. My only gripe is the band presses on the back of the head when side sleeping.
With bone conduction technology, sound quality will never match a sealed in-ear monitor. However, Aftershokz has continued to refine their transducer over generations to improve bass response and clarity.
I found the sound very impressive for bone conduction headphones. The audio is clean and balanced, with punchy bass that doesn’t distort at high volumes. The open design does leak some music to those near you. Volume gets dangerously loud at max level.
Features and Connectivity
The Aeropex have an IP67 rating making them sweatproof and able to withstand submersion up to 1 meter deep. I’ve used them in heavy rain with no issues. Bluetooth 5.0 provides a stable connection up to 33 feet. The 8 hour battery easily lasts a full day between charges.
An integrated mute button makes it easy to pause music and answer calls. You can also activate Siri or Google Assistant. Pairing is quick and the Aeropex can store multiple device profiles.
The open-ear bone conduction design makes the Aeropex perfect for sports and workouts like running, biking, and gym sessions. You can hear ambient sound for safety and spatial awareness. The headphones stay securely in place during intense activity thanks to the lightweight yet sturdy frame. The IP67 rating also makes them ideal for outdoor adventures.
User Feedback Summary:
Based on over 7,900 customer reviews, the Aeropex average 4.6 out of 5 stars. Positive feedback highlights the great sound quality, long battery life, comfortable fit, and hearing awareness. Some downsides mentioned are difficulty side sleeping, lack of bass, and occasional vibration tickle from heavy bass. Critical reviews report rare battery charging issues.
- Great sound for bone conduction
- All-day comfort
- Situational awareness
- Sweatproof and waterproof
- Quick charging
- Not ideal for side sleeping
- Lacks deep bass
- Proprietary charging cable
At around $160, the Aeropex deliver excellent value considering their suite of features optimized for active lifestyles. The patented bone conduction technology and sound quality rival more expensive traditional headphones.
Overall, the Aftershokz Aeropex deliver the best sound I’ve heard in bone conduction headphones. The open-ear design keeps you connected to your environment while enjoying music and takes calls on the go. With a suite of features tailored for active lifestyles, the Aeropex are an excellent investment for sports and everyday use.
- Transducer: PremiumPitch PlusTM dual suspension transducers
- Frequency response: 20Hz - 20KHz
- Bluetooth version: 5.0
- Bluetooth profiles: A2DP v1.2, AVRCP v1.6, HFP v1.7
- Bluetooth range: Up to 33 feet (10 meters)
- Battery life: 8 hours
- Standby time: 10 days
- Charge time: 1.5 hours
- Battery type: Lithium-ion polymer
- Battery capacity: 145mAh
- Water resistance: IP67
- Microphone: Dual noise-canceling mics
- Weight: 26 grams
- Dimensions: 6.61 x 5.35 x 3.74 inches
- The PremiumPitch PlusTM transducers deliver full range audio with enhanced bass
- Bluetooth 5.0 provides a stable and energy efficient wireless connection
- 8 hours of battery life covers a full day’s use
- IP67 waterproof rating means the Aeropex can be submerged up to 1 meter
- Dual microphones filter ambient noise for clear call quality
- Extremely lightweight and compact design maximizes comfort
- Aeropex headphones
- USB charging cable
- Carrying case
How to Use:
- Charge the Aeropex fully before first use
- Turn on the headphones and pair via Bluetooth
- Position the transducers on your cheekbones
- Adjust the band to fit securely and comfortably
- Use the multifunction button to control music and calls
- Mute the mic when not on calls
- Check battery level with voice prompt
- Charge for 1.5 hours for full battery